Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year's Resolutions



I know many of you read Kelly's Korner blog. It is one of my favorites, and I especially love the "Show Us Your Life" segment she does on Fridays. The first topic of the new year is New Year's Resolutions/Goals. I figured that if I wrote mine down for all to see, then I would have to hold myself more accountable. So here are some goals and improvements I am hoping to make for 2010:

Start Running. I know this may be nothing for some people, but the last time I remember physically running a mile was in 9th grade P.E. class. It is not to say that I am not active. I love to walk, do yoga, elliptical machine, boot camp, kickboxing, weights, etc. but I just have never been a runner. But ever since one of my best friends, Casey Mac, completed the Nashville half marathon in 2005, I have felt inspired (she will not mind me saying that she started off as a VERY non-runner like myself). And when she finished her first full marathon this past fall, I decided that the least I could do was a 5k:)

Take a sewing class. I did some minor sewing my senior year of high school in Home Ec. I even have a quilt to prove it. But now that Emmy is here, I am feeling like I need to learn. I even have a sewing machine, so it seems like a necessity!

Get ORGANIZED! I will be the first to admit that I am no Type A personality. I like to keep the house clean, but organizational skills (closets, fridge, etc.) are something I have to really work at. After being married for nearly 5 years and having two kids, stuff can accumulate really quickly. I have already tackled the master closet and bonus (with Heath's help), and have a huge donation of clothes and toys for our local Help Center! I just need to keep up organization all year...

Work on my photography skills. I am obsessed with pictures (having kids will do that to you), and need to learn more about my SLR camera, lighting, angles, etc.

(Finally) Start reading the Twilight series. My mom and sister in law think it is necessary. Apparently i am way behind! Ha!

Try more new recipes. I love to cook, and having two small children makes it hard (and sometimes downright unpleasant) to go out to dinner. And I tend to get stuck in a rut (tacos and spaghetti anyone). So I will be breaking out the cookbooks more often (this should be an easy goal- we love to eat, which will make the running more imperative!:)

Spend more time in God's word and practicing it. Self Explanatory!

Continue to work on being the best wife and mother I can. When I had a "real" job, we did yearly reviews and worked on goals and professional expectations for the next year. This is my job now, so it only makes sense to do the same for it. Too bad you don't get a yearly raise or bonus like in the professional world!


I am sure there are more things, but that is all I can think of right now...I better get to it!:)

3 comments:

Jenn Wade said...

I love you Kel!! These sound like great resolutions. I want to sew too...and I agree with Mom and Bev - the Twilight Series is a must. Let me know if you need any of them, although I'm sure they've already loaned you their copies! XOXO - here's to a great 2010 for all of us!

Ellis Island said...

Kelly, I too am trying more new recipies, and I am going to post several that I have tried in the next few days. Make sure you post some of yours too, so I can see! And as far as Twilight goes, get out from underneath that rock and start reading! : ) Good luck with your resolutions! : )

Brandi said...

Good luck to you! :)