Monday, August 11, 2008

"Victory in Jesus"

This was one of my grandfather's favorite hymns. I have many childhood memories of sitting in the pews of his tiny church with Wendy and my cousin Karla listening to Pa Bill lead this song while Grandma Anne banged away on the piano. Sadly, Pa passed away last Monday, August 4, just a few weeks shy of his 79th birthday. He has been very sick for the last year and a half, and we knew it was his time to go, although it was still very hard to lose him. I feel blessed that I was able to share 27 years with him, and even more blessed that he was able to know Cade, if only for a short while. Shortly after his death, our church sent me a card with this passage that Jesus spoke to comfort his disciples: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms..." John 14:1. I can just hear Pa now in one of those great rooms singing "Victory in Jesus" for all to hear:)
Seaside, FL June 25,2005

Reception- July 2005


Photobucket

1 comment:

Owings Family said...

Sad. I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a great tribute to your Pa Bil. I often think of my Granddaddy Joe up in heaven singing "How Great Thou Art". It was one of his favorites and the one he always sang when we visited his church (even if it wasn't on the program)! What a wonderful generation of Christian men!